Thursday 10 July 2014

Myvi - Suspension Comparison



First of all, I would like to express my greatest appreciation towards Perodua technician for sharing this wonderful piece of information with me. I am not sure if anyone of you know about it, but hope this would be useful for those who are planning to upgrade or looking for solution or similar.

I am comparing two versions of Perodua Myvi here, one is 2012 Myvi 1.5 SE and another is 2013 Myvi 1.3 S-Series. 

Perodua Myvi 1.5 SE
Perodua Myvi 1.3 S-Series

The 1.3 S-Series were an "upgrade" from the standard 1.3. The "upgrades" are mainly using the 1.5 SE bodykit; striking colour - Ozzy Orange; 6-sopke silver alloy rim instead of 7-spoke gun metal alloy; Ocean-blue colour meter cluster backlight instead of red; and many more (I think). These are the few obvious upgrade. 


Perodua Myvi 1.3 Standard
Photo Courtesy of : http://keretaahmad.webs.com/21.jpg

Here comes the important part. When I was driving the 1.3 S-Series, 7 days to full one year old, over some of the speed bumps and I could hear springy/squeaky sound coming from the front. It is just weird coming from such a new car.  Then I tested with a 1.5 SE, about 2 years old, and there were no such sound at all. 

So I decided to check with the manufacturer, and found out that the 1.3 S-Series is actually using the 1.3 standard spring and absorber. Whereas the 1.5 SE and 1.5 Extreme are using different set. What I'm writing about here is all OEM spring and absorbers, no sporty modification.

Manufacturer wouldn't recommend that we swap the absorbers and spring during the warranty period, swap as in I order a set of 1.5 SE spring and absorbers from factory and fit it into 1.3 S-Series. It would be best to consider this swap again when the warranty is over, meanwhile, we can actually file a complain and claim a set of new spring if found by the technicians that it is indeed defect. 

I'm sorry I could not tell what is the difference, as in whether it is lower ride hide or harder spring rate or bigger monotube between the two. Perodua technician did not reveal the in depth specifications to me, but we all do know now is that, the 1.3 and 1.5 suspension setup are 2 different settings. 

So, all 1.3 standard and 1.3 S-series owner out there, if you hear some springy/squeaky sound from the spring, you know what to do. If we are not looking at having sports spring upgrade or hi-lo soft-hard adjustable, then getting the 1.5 SE suspension is another economical upgrade.

Cheers!!

2 comments:

damha said...

hi..i have myvi se1 2008,is it possible to fit 1.5se suspension into mine?

Ronmazia said...

Is it fit my first model too?