Thursday 1 May 2014

10 years



Sometimes I look at myself with disbelief, that I have been in this event industry for 10 years. Still remember back in the days, my very first event. Time flies and here I am, 10 years and still counting. I hope this could inspire the younger generation now, who are in the work force, trying to go up the corporate ladder and what's not.

It was in 2004, I was still in college and was struggling through daily life. Family was in financial crisis, and I had to start looking for part time job in order to support my daily expenses. I started off with working in a ladies boutique in Sg. Wang Plaza, I began to skip class because of the work commitment and I wanted more money to survive. Then, I had to quit working because my academic was very poor and college threatened to expel me if my results continue to drop. I was stranded, I knew family was struggling to get me through this. One day, a long lost high school friend from Shah Alam called, saying one of our friend's mother had passed away. So we went for the wake service, there we met all our mates, not really a good timing for a reunion, but that's how we reconnected. Couple of weeks later, CK, called me and asked if I am interested in working part time. Of course I am!! After getting all the details, and there I was, landed myself in a part time job in events management.

My first event, was a Christmas campaign and soft launch of The Curve shopping mall in Mutiara Damansara. With zero knowledge in events management, I was put in a very least important and junior position, my job is just to make sure all the walkie talkies battery are fully charge at all times, and make sure food is ready when talents or other crew come in for meal break. One month pass very quickly, and pay day came, I got shocked to see my pay cheque amounting to about MYR 1,800.00. That's a lot of money to me. From then onwards, the bosses of the event company began to call me for more jobs, and it was a good year for me in 2005 and 2006. To the extend, I bought myself a car (with some help from my parents).
 
This is my first car.
In the same year, 2006, the two bosses of the event company, offered me to work in the office as part time, giving me the time flexibility, that I can go in to clock my working hours after classes. Isn't it a good year for me? Every thing just began to fall into places, and was really thankful to God. That wasn't just it, the bosses even offered me to work full time after I graduate, bear in mind, I was still doing my final year in 2006, everything just seems too good to be true!! I accepted the offer, and there I go, started my career path officially in 2007.

It is so different to work onsite and in the office, whatever that I have learned onsite, is not applicable at all. I tried hard, I did my best to learn whatever I can. That year, I come to realisation that whatever I have studied, is irrelevant to what I am doing. This thought proved me so wrong later in the years. Time ticks pass again, a new year, a new beginning, 2008. I put all that I have learned in 2007 together, and strive for the best in the industry, results gave me comfort from all those sleepless night, working over time, and all those blood sweat and tears shed, was just simply amazing. I was given a sales target of MYR 350,000.00, I hit pass my target by July, and bosses gave me a new target of MYR 500,000.00. Guess what? I pass the mark by November. I spend my whole December resting and preparing for Chirstmas, of course, there some events here and there. Total sales for the year of 2008, approximately MYR 540,000.00.

In 2009, due to political and sociological issues, event industry was hit badly, companies hold back on marketing expenditure, and every company dare not to spend. I was hit hard too, I didn't even manage to cross 50% of my sales target. In 2010, again I tried my best to grab whatever I can. At the same time, I was contemplating to move on, but, move on to what? Then, finally, I decided to start a company of my own, a company doing what I am good at, Events Management. By mid 2011, I resigned and I focus 100% on my company, there it was, the birth of Eventi Events.

  

Very quickly, third and fourth quarter of 2011 was good, we made not a lot, but sufficient to cover the operation. We do all we could for 2012, and it was just splendid! I then expanded to other territorial, which is Weddings. With a friend whom I knew back in those days, we join partnership and hence the birth of a sister-company : Celestial Weddings. 


Both the company continue to bloom, continue to serve the industry, and continue to put a smile on our clients' face. Here we are now, 2014, with no regrets that we have come to the decision back then, to start a business and have led us to current date.

My advise, young people, these days everyone will want to think out of the box, I'd say no. Not just only out of the box, we need to constantly be reminded, and know what was the core and what was the basics. If we allow our mind to float out of the box all the time, we may forget why we do it in the very first place. Don't give up, and never look back at decisions you have made but to bring the best out of it and by failure, we learn and we excel from it. I have my failure times too, but, let's not get there. As mentioned, hope this could inspire some of you out there.

Three Cheers!!

Below are some of the event photos from my combined 10 years experience.

Charity Jogathon
AirAsia 7th Anniversary
Giant Suppliers Night
AirAsia BO Airbus Launch
AirAsia Dato Pahamin Airbus Launch
CIMB Private Banking Customer Appreciation Night @ KCH
CIMB Private Banking Customer Appreciation Night @ KK
World Cup Campaign @ BB Plaza
XIXILI Annual Dinner
AirAsia "To Japan with Love" Campaign Launch
Dijaya Mid Autumn Festival
Giant Spot Visa and Win Contest Prize Presentation
GPL Group Annual Dinner
IWC Collectibles Launch
New Machines Outlet Launch @ Tebrau City, JB
PHKL Annual Dinner
G2000 Annual Dinner
Giant Corporate Golf Tournament
Giant Superstore Launch @ Farlim, Penang
Guardian Pharmacy Eco Bag Launch
Tedx KL : Women
Guardian Pharmacy Charity Golf Tournament
Giant Hypermarket Launch @ Kuala Selangor
Sunrise Showcase CNY Open House
Symphony Hills CNY Open House
Fotile V-Series Hood Launch
Giant E-Debit Program Launch

No comments: